Our second week in Norway was an interesting one. We have learned that the work permit issues that we expected would be quickly resolved will likely be drawn out for quite a while. For those of you who may not know what is going on: My work permit was granted (really by mistake, but granted nonetheless) and Justin's was not. Because of this there are some issues with securing 'personal numbers' which are a big deal in Norway and allow you access to most all the goods and services you may need. We are working with the immigration offices and police, but it is a major bureaucratic nightmare. Also, because Justin's permit was denied the government has seen fit to deny Maarit's residence permit as well. This is simply because the law here does not permit one parent to immigrate with a child and therefore separate the child from the other parent (presuming that since his permit has been denied he will not be living here). Anyway, it's a mess, but it WILL work out--we just don't know when. We have both missed a bunch of school this week because we've needed to go to appointments at the immigration and police offices.
Speaking of school though, our school has been wonderful and we are both very happy with our positions. The culture of education is quite different here and the amount of care, support and respect we have received has been amazing. Not to mention that the head of our school cafeteria (if it can be called that) is a French chef so the meals are ...amazing. I can not even begin to describe how awesome the food is at our school, it's like going to a private restaurant every day for lunch (good thing I am hiking and biking to work or I'd be getting even fatter!) Another huge perk is that our school has an unlimited 'all things coffee' machine... so my mornings usually consist of trying to decide if I want an espresso, mocha or a latte for first coffee.
We have been secretly blessed by the whole work permit mess as well in a way. Because of the fact that Maarit is currently an illegal alien she can not attend the Norwegian preschool system (barnhagen), something we were really looking forward to for her. However, our school director has decided that Maarit will be able to attend the preschool program, free of charge, at our school. (She is actually about 1 month too young for the International School program, but the rules are being bent in this case because of the permit issues--we are so grateful!) This means that each morning she will be able to come to school with us and spend her time with kids from all different countries in a very spectacular preschool program. She will likely start this week. She is very excited for school and we have taken her to visit one of the best parts: the playground!
The city of Stavanger held a flower sculpture festival this past weekend:
I liked this little car, you see lots and lots of little tiny cars, but this one is funky green and is called a Buddy car- Maarit and I thought it was pretty cool.
This is the view from our living room. We are right on the fjord. Across the water is an island with a sheep and cattle farm. At night we can hear the baaing and mooing. It is quite picturesque Norway.
So a long while ago Kristi gave us your blog address. I follow a lot of blogs so I added yours to my RSS feed. I looked at it once and a while but didn't really know you so didn't look at it often. Maybe that sounds harsh, but I didn't know you;-) Now that I've met you and have met a lot of your family, I am loving your blog! I love all your pictures! I looked at them and thought I have a comment about all of them:) What a beautiful country! And so fun that Maarit gets to go to school w/ you guys:) The slug, wow. That cruise ship, wow. And that oil ship, very new age looking. I've only ever really seen ones that look like they've been at sea for 45 years! Can't wait to see the inside of your home:) I want to know what kind of plant that is between the doors that kind of climbing!! It's so pretty and I want one! And last but not least, very cute little green car. I wouldn't want to pass a semi going 70 in it, but very cute for down town:)
ReplyDelete