Maarit's 5th Birthday was a week-long celebration that started on the Saturday morning of her party with snuggles from her big cousin Chloe.
Maarit had picked a Richard Scarry's Busytown Mystery theme, so this was the character face I came up with for her birthday cake. It is supposed to be Huckle Cat.
The cousins went for a paddle boat ride and played outside starting at 7:30am. It was a long and busy day. The weather went from chilly and a bit misty to full on wet, but great fun outdoors was had by all despite the weather. As the Norwegians say: There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!
When all of her friends arrived the kids had fun playing in the leaves and in the trees, scavenger hunting and chasing each other around the yard.
A sweet moment between friend Lucy and her mommy Sarah.
The Dads manned the fire...well all the Dads, but one. Uncle Kurt caught a bug and had to stay in the house for the afternoon which was a bummer, but he can play with the race car set at Thanksgiving so it will be ok.
Maarit's friend, Aiden, brought his dog Nibby, and Nibby decided he loves the muddy lakeshore.
The kiddos roasted hotdogs before it really started to rain. This is Maarit and her friend Isaac concentrating hard on their hotdogs.
By the time we were ready for cake there had been some tired-out tears and waaaaaay too much sugar, but how often do you turn 5?
Here is a group shot of all the kids at Maarit's 5th Birthday party. It was a happy and fun crowd!
The next morning, Gus tried out Maarit's old purple elephant (she got this elephant from friend Lindsey when she turned one). He loves the elephant!
Maarit, cousins and Auntie had a nice canoe ride on our lake on Sunday morning.
The day of Maarit's actual birthday, the 16th of October, she did not have school. Gus and I took her to meet Nana at Maarit's favorite place in the area, the Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth. She got to help train the crow, Freeway, by giving him mail to pick up and she loved watching the trainer work with the bird.
When Daddy got home from school we were able to open presents and have a lovely birthday dinner of Chicken Stroganoff, her favorite meal. It was a wonderful week of turning 5.
And now that she is 5 I can't help but add that I am so emotional about this birthday milestone.
My darling Maarit, it is hard to believe that you are already 5. You have had so many adventures in your life already. You are such a curious, intelligent and gentle soul. Every day, I know that I am blessed beyond belief to be your mommy. I love watching you grow into your own determined, creative and interesting self. You are an amazing big sister to your brother and you bring so much joy to all of our lives. Thank you for being....the world needs you.
I love you, my sweet monkey-pie.
No comments:
Post a Comment