Today is Maarit's 5th birthday. I am emotional about this milestone and we will have more about that later, but for now, while she is happily eating her birthday dinner (chicken stroganoff, a beef free version of the real thing with a creamy sauce that is her favorite meal), I feel like I have to go back and explain our absence.
The end of September and early October has been rough on our little family. Gus came down with a double ear infection and croup. His first round of antibiotics were ineffective and he developed a severe allergy to the the second medication. He broke out in hives over his whole body and had a swollen little face and hands. I didn't take any pictures, I never want to see that again. It was awful. After he started to get better on the third antibiotic, Justin developed a pretty intense case of laryngitis, couldn't talk and had to avoid our little ones for fear of giving them the virus. It was a long couple of weeks with more sleepless nights than I care to detail here. However, it seems, on Maarit's special day, that the men in our family are finally on the mend.
During the weeks of illness, even feeling terrible, Gus practiced his army crawl and holding himself up. At the beginning of last week he finally started a full crawl. We are now chasing him everywhere and constantly pulling him off the stairs, his favorite place to climb.
One evening during Gus's illness while Nana was here to care for him, Justin and I got to sneak out for a canoe on our lake. Our house looks nice from this perspective, I think.
Maarit and I stayed healthy during the plague, thank goodness. Here she is smiling about her wiggly tooth.
Maarit and Gus sleeping in the car after a short play outside.
My sweet little owl on a hike with us before we realized that his first medication was ineffective. That night he spiked a high fever and we were back in the doctor's office learning that his ear infection moved to both ears. Poor guy.
He still uses his army scoot, but now only when he is feeling tired and doesn't want to crawl on his knees. This was the best short video I could capture of his scoot, so fun.
We are planning to play, take a swim in our bath tub and snuggle for the rest of Maarit's 5th birthday. Pictures from loosing her tooth the night before her birthday party and her party coming soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment